Monday, January 8, 2007

Smells of India

It's the smell grabs me everytime I walk out the door. You would think with so much shit and garbage around that it would smell bad. Actually when the steet sweepers burn piles of plastic bags on the corner it does. Other times though you can almost tell the time of day from the smell in the air. Each meal smells different, evening the scent of insence is is everywhere. It's a heady perfume of animal and people odours layered with fruit and perfume from the trees and the burning offerings. I love it.

I like my new apartment. It's on the cool side of the building, got great cross drafts, the veranda ends at my doors so no-one is looking in my windows, very clean, good water and more than enough room for my needs. I'm thinking of renting it for the whole year. At $650 for the year it is cheaper than a storage locker in Canada. I can put a padlock on the inner room door and leave my India stuff there. Let Remi have a key to the outer rooms and while I am away let the pilgrims in distress who are always coming to him for help have a little temp shelter till they find their own place. It's always those first few days in a new place that cost the most. Hotel keepers really soak you for last minute rooms.

I'll make up my mind by the end of March.

Freebee programs are so frustrating. Been putting photos up on Flickr. Putting them in sets that open reasonably quickly. Then I find out that free service only allows you three sets. Arrrghhh!

Tried putting all my trip photos in one set but here in India I cannot even get the slideshow to open. Perhaps those with broadband connections will have better luck. Piss, I'm going to have to pay that thirty dollars or so for a paid account. Wonder how long before they start trimming back on that too? Anyway, enough time messing around with these slow upload speeds for today.

Beginning to get the urge to take some photos finally. There is such a cute little baby just down at the end of the block.

No comments: