Thursday, November 23, 2006

It finally sinks in


It's winter. Every year I experience this period of denial. Maybe it will go away again. This year it snowed before Halloween. It has snowed before Halloween before and then melted and given us back a few precious more days of sun. No such luck this year. That Siberian high threw itself down across the prairies and winter settled down on that comfortable couch for the duration. I'm so glad I am heading for the sun in three more weeks.

Still so much to do. I brought back a bunch of Indian goodies last trip, want to sell enough to pay for my airfare in the future, this is my last freebie. It wasn't too sucessful a venture. I don't want the expense of a shop that I will not be in for six months a year. I got back too late to apply to sell at any of the large summer festivals. Too late also to get a table at the local downtown farmers maret.

There are problems with that also. I haven't owned a car for ten years and do not want to drive again much less pay for the feed and care of another automobile, so the logistics of getting boxes and bales across town every Saturday are formidable. Finally I have tried what I am good at, playing on the computer. Sold some stuff on Ebay, that works for me, except that Ebay fees are insane. So now I have spent the last couple of weeks photographing my goods to take the files to India with me and work up both applications for the big festival sales in January and my online store. My sublettor Ramu will be bringing his wife back from India in March. As fortune will have it, she does websites. So I am going to work up up a website while I am in India this time and employ her to mount it on a website. Always good to have a bit of a project to work on in the cool of the house during those long, warm dusty afternoons.

But first the photos. It's winter. I live in a basement suite with north facing windows. I have to wait for those rare moments when the sun breaks through the icefog, then gather up all my table lamps to get enough light on the subject to photograph anything. Little by little I'm chewing my way through it. Why not do it when the sun was out for fourteen, sixteen hours a day during the summer? Who knows, maybe just that vain hope that this year winter will not come.

I took this photo from my window to send to Ramu when he was in Singapore to warn him what he was coming back to.

No comments: